This delicious dish “rendang” has better taste the longer it has been prepared. It comes from the western Sumatrra region (Indonesia), prepared masterfully by the population of the Minagkabau, An online poll of 35,000 people by CNN International chose rendang as the number one dish of their “World’s 50 Most Delicious Foods (Readers’ Pick)”
When I prepare rendang, I make a lot of meat, as it has to be cooked for hours. Then freeze half to take it in those days when I do not feel like cooking .
Although the cooking time is very long, I can assure you that as soon as you taste the entendereis flavor that those hours of waiting are worth:-) The meat is melted in the mouth and it is very tasty.
You can use veal stewed, chicken or lamb for this recipe. I like the veal version better, I think the texture of the meat is ideal for this recipe.
I try to make the recipe as simple as possible, but without losing the original flavor.
for 4-6 people
- 1 kg of veal stewed cut in squares approx 3 cm
- 1 can of coconut milk
- 3 Lemon grass
- 3 lemon leaves
- 1 Laurel
- 10 Macadamia
- 1/2 large Onion
- 5 cloves of garlic
- 2 chilli peppers (optional)
- 2 cm Ginger
- 1 small spoonful of Galanga
- 1 tablespoon tamarind
- 1 tablespoon of brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons of kecap manis
- 1 small tablespoon of salt
- 1 tablespoon sunflower oil
1. Prepare the spices. Mash all the spices until you get a paste.
2. Heat 1 tablespoon of sunflower oil, add pasta, sauté for 2 minutes.
3. Add meat, sauté for 3 minutes.
4. Add coconut milk, lemon grass, lemon leaves, laurel.
5. Simmer for 3 hours until coconut milk evaporates and meat is golden.
6. Pour fried onion on top to serve.