Barnacles are one of the best valued shellfish and with a very high quality when we speak of the Galician denomination. We tell you how to cook the barnacles and enjoy this delicatessen.
Types of barnacles
Barnacles are a crustacean that is attached to the rocks, depending on the area where you are talking about sun barnacles or shadow barnacles.
- The barnacles of the sun have a greater amount of meat and less body aqueous, which makes them the most appreciated barnacle. This one has a short, thick body.
- Shadow barnacles, unlike the previous one, have a more elongated and slender body, when raised in a low or flooded area we can assume that this growth is due to the search for the sun.
The Galician barnacles are one of the most famous and has become a typical food of the area. In turn, you can also find them from other communities such as Asturias, Cantabria and the Basque Country.
In the fishmongers you can find barnacles of cheaper prices than the Galician or national product, such as those coming from Canada or the Moroccan coast but, we must take into account, we are not talking about the same quality.
The high cost of this product is not only due to its intense flavor to the sea, also to the high risk that the bitess live for the collection because it is done manually in rocky areas that are bathed by the waves. Barnacles cannot be bred through aquaculture, every barnacle you see comes from a wild brood and a natural feed based on plankton.
How to cook Barnacles
The most common way to consume barnacles is cooked and is not a complex process, since the key is the quality of the product purchased, but it is necessary to follow a few simple steps to make the final result great.
- Seawater or saltwater
- The best way to prepare them is with salt water, that is, if you have the sea near you go for it and if not because it makes a good amount of water with salt to have the same level saline. More or less the amount is in 60 grams of salt per liter of water.
- Put the water in a saucepan and when you boil the barnacles out. Removes.
- The moment he breaks again to boil it will be time to remove them.
- Remove of the pan with the help of a skimmer.
- You put them in a fountain and then take them out to serve, the temperature plays a key role in enjoying all the flavor. It can be covered with a cloth soaked in the broth where they have been cooked to keep the heat as long as possible.