The cream of asparagus is a very simple first dish to prepare, with a delicious flavor and is also very nutritious. We teach you how to make asparagus cream at home.
Originally from the Mediterranean area, the asparagus was brought to Spain by the Romans, among which it was highly valued. Currently, you can find two varieties: the White and the green. Today we will prepare a recipe with the green variety, also known as asparagus Triguero.
Asparagus is 90% water and, therefore, are excellent to incorporate in our eating habits if we are doing a diet to lose weight. They are also beneficial to the nervous system and have natural diuretic properties.
Did you know that during the Middle Ages and the Renaissance the asparagus was believed to be an aphrodisiac food and it was banned in many places?
It is best to choose asparagus that is well green in its full length, with compact tips. If we are not sure we can cut the stem and check that it is not wilted. The asparagus loses its flavor and freshness once harvested, so you have to cook as soon as possible to guarantee its greatest flavor.
The soft parts of the asparagus are the most commonly eaten, the rest can be used for making vegetable soups, flavoring broths, etc.
Green Asparagus Cream
Like everything that happens in the kitchen, there is always a multitude of ways to prepare the same dish and, in each house, each one does it as it wants. So in this article, we are going to present two different ways of preparing a cream of asparagus, starting with an ingredient as simple and practical as the cream.
The cream is used in a multitude of creams because, in addition to softening the flavor of the ingredients also gives a certain body and texture to the cream, a liquid that combines very well with many ingredients. Those who want to use an ingredient with less caloric intake that the liquid cooking cream can be used in the process evaporated milk, which is already very easy to find in any supermarket.
INGREDIENTS (4 people)
- 2 potatoes
- 1 good bunch of asparagus (20 asparagus aprox.)
- 1 leek
- 1/2 Onion also chopped
- 200 Liquid Cream
- Water (quantity needed)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
How to make asparagus cream
Pour some olive oil over the frying pan and add the leek well cleaned and chopped, rehógalo. Then add the potatoes and pour in water until it is all covered. Over medium heat, and with lid on, cook until it is checked that the potato is already soft.
Thoroughly wash the asparagus to lose any type of sand that may have remained. Remove the hard part from it, cut it little and reserve some of the heads of the asparagus for presentation.
Add the asparagus and sauté with the ingredients for about 5 minutes.
Beat well with the blender until a fine texture is obtained. Book a few minutes.
When it comes to consuming it, you have to give it another boil after adding the cream, the ground pepper and the salt to taste.
Sauté the tender heads of the asparagus with a little oil and salt in a frying pan. For the presentation you can put them over and accompany them with croutons or pieces of serrano ham.
Thermomix Asparagus Cream
Then we show you how you can prepare a delicious asparagus cream in your thermomix cooking robots.
- 2 bunches of green asparagus
- 1 medium onion
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 600 gr. vegetable broth
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 150 Gr. of Cream for cooking
- Clean and cut a medium onion in quarts. Reserve. Remove the hardest part of the stalk from the green asparagus, the rest of the asparagus is cut into 2 or 3 pieces. The tips, which are more tender, go to part.
- Pour a splash of olive oil into the glass of the Thermomix, program for 3 minutes Speed 1. Then add the asparagus tips for 2 minutes, reverse turn, spoon speed. Once they are ready, they are removed from the robot (leaving the oil inside) and are reserved.
- Then add the onion to cut it for 4 seconds at speed 4. Then sauté for 4 minutes at speed 1.
- The asparagus is incorporated, not the tips that we will use in the end. Again, you put it back so that cut and when ready is added salt, ground pepper and broth. Program for 20 minutes at a temperature of 100 ° and Speed 1.
- After this time, add the cream and the programs for 1 minute more, at speed 4 with a temperature of 90 º.
- For a fine texture, as soon as the temperature is reduced, it is crushed for 2 minutes at a progressive speed of 5-7-10. Serve in a nice container and decorate with the tips of asparagus or other ingredients that provide a delicious extra touch, such as Parmesan cheese.
White Asparagus Cream
The cream of white asparagus can be prepared with fresh asparagus or canned asparagus, as you will see below. If choose by canned white asparagus It is important that they be of quality.
One of the advantages of this cream of white asparagus is that it is very easy to prepare and light, very low in fats, so it is fantastic for all types of diners.
For this recipe we will need
- 1 onion
- 1 bunch (500gr.) of fresh white asparagus
- 1 potato
- 1 clove of garlic
- A splash of olive oil
The preparation of this recipe will not take more than 30 minutes, because you only have to clean the vegetables, cook and mash them.
You have the complete recipe with the step by step and photographs of it, clicking here “Cream of white asparagus easy and light”
Canned Asparagus Cream
- 250 Gr. of canned asparagus
- 500 ml of water
- 1 onion
- 75 gr. Olive oil
- Vegetable broth
- 2 medium potatoes
- Salt and white pepper
- Remove the asparagus and put them to drain to lose as much water as possible but do not throw the liquid. Peel and chop the potatoes in dice, reserve.
- Clean the onion and cut it in Julienne. Add it in a pan with previously heated oil, stir-fry a little salt.
- Afterwards, only the stalks of the asparagus are added, the tips have to be removed and reserved for the presentation.
- Add 250 ml of the liquid of the canned asparagus along with the broth and water. Add the potatoes and let them cook until they are tender, season.
- To make it a fine texture, nice and without threads, we recommend that you pass the cream by the mill. Finally, you only have to present with the yolks of asparagus that you have previously removed and you can add some ham or some croutons.
Asparagus Cream recipe Easy
The second recipe that we bring is a cream of asparagus as easy to prepare as the previous, where we change the most oily ingredients (olive oil and cream) for a little butter that will give that fat needed to make the dish.
The flour, in this case, will allow the cream to take more consistency.
- 3 Bunches of asparagus
- 100 grams of butter
- 25 grams of flour
- 8 cups hot water
- ½ Onion
- Salt and pepper to taste
- It removes part of the stalk of the asparagus, leaving only the tenderest part that is near the tip. The pieces of stem that were removed are scraped and washed; From one of the bunches, the tips of the stalks are separated and left apart. Then cut the remaining asparagus into slices.
- Only 50 grams of butter are melted and the onion is rehoganed, then the chopped asparagus and the tips are added, Salpimientan slightly and Rehogan.
- The ends are removed from the container and left apart. The flour is dissolved with water, mixed and added to the above in a saucepan. It is allowed to simmer for approximately 1 hour and the cream is passed through a sieve. It is put back on the fire, add the tips of the asparagus, and let it cook for 10 minutes
- The remaining 50 grams of butter is added to the preparation, and is served very hot.
- Some people give a little bit of soft cheese above to enhance the flavors, you can put crisps of ham in the presentation or even some almonds previously toasted in the frying pan. As I said, it will bring a touch of flavor but also adds another texture to the dish.